CANOA THEN AND NOW!

click images to links for more info

Definition of Canoa, and Southern Arizona Attractions

Contributing Resources

Located at the western base of Elephant Head Mountain along the Santa Cruz River between San Xavier and Tubac, the area was known as a life sustaining source of water in the dry Sonoran Desert. 

Don Bufkin's 1966 map from "Kino in Arizona" shows Canoa as the “Waterhole”.  Contributed by the Kino Heritage Society.

These 1965 images by Phillip S. Sanderson are

from a photo of a

mural at the Chase bank on Esperanza in Green Valley.

Artist NanLuWiza, or Nancy Williams contributed this illustration, and has been an active board member with Friends of Canoa since 1994.

She is currently working on the Canoa Speaks "Stories of the Kids of Canoa" video preservation project.

Retired from Pima County, Bill Singleton's illustrations and mural art are featured throughout southern Arizona along the Anza Trail and downtown Tucson Presidio.

This image is of the Canoa campsite in Lt. Col. Juan Bautista de Anza's 1775-76 expedition from Tubac to San Francisco.  

Illustrations from the Deezie Manning Collection were contributed by Ann (Manning) Feigen, and Leslie (Manning) Woods-Hulse featured as children going fishing at Historic Canoa Ranch in the 1950s.

Both are active members of the Friends of Canoa, monumental in helping us to keep the stories accurate, and preserving the property for the enjoyment of the public.

Trails map and photo contributed by Chuck Hill and Bill Adamson of the Santa Cruz Valley Bicycle Advocate Committee.

New segments of the Anza Trail and Adamson/Catino Trailhead are scheduled to be complete by 2019.

© 2018 Produced by Have Some Fun Tourism Media

Notice: 

Friends of Canoa does not accept, or solicit contributions on behalf of Pima County for the Hacienda de la Canoa property.

Friends of Canoa Heritage Foundation

520-289-3940

inspired@VisitCanoa.com